The wind gods smiled on the second day of Volvo Cork Week with a 15 knot southwesterly piping up, giving the international fleet a day to remember in the Celtic Sea. Barry Byrne’s Irish Defence Forces team came from behind to win the double points scoring Fastnet Race for the Beaufort Cup. During the 130 mile race, four teams swapped the lead in an intense battle around the Fastnet Lighthouse. Meanwhile 100 teams were competing inshore for the second day of Volvo Cork Week. A long coastal race, in good breeze along the wild South Coast of Ireland produced fantastic racing.
July 16th – July 21st 2018
An eclectic mix of classes, competitors, good courses and good company.
A mixture of clear blue skies and blankets of clouds made for highly changeable conditions for the first day of Volvo Cork Week. Thankfully the warm sunshine won the day, providing light air racing in beautiful Cork Harbour and the Celtic Sea. The teams returned to the dock with colour in their cheeks, a glint in the eye, and a thirst for the refreshments at the Royal Cork Yacht Club.
Racing kicked …
Race organisers collaborate with MaREI Centre for Marine and Renewable Energy and An Taisce’s Clean Coasts Programme to Go Green and Achieve Clean Regattas Certification
Volvo Cork Week, taking place in Crosshaven, County Cork, July 16th – 21st, is proud to announce their collaboration with An Tasice’s Clean Coasts programme and the MaREI Centre for Marine and Renewable Energy at University College Cork as they join the race to restore ocean health with Sailors for the Sea’s Clean Regattas programme.
The ocean is in crisis, every year, 8 million metric tons of plastic enters the ocean from land each year and 40% of the oceans are heavily affected by human activity, including pollution, overfishing and destructive fishing practices, and the …
Volvo Cork Week runs, this year, from Sunday 15th to Saturday 21st July. Over the 40 years of its history, Volvo Cork Week has cemented its reputation as a world class sailing experience, flavoured with the key ingredients of friendly competition, varied sailing and excellent entertainment.
Cork County Council Chief Executive, Mr Tim Lucey said “Cork County Council through our Economic Development Fund is delighted to be a Platinum Sponsor of Volvo Cork Week 2018. I wish to congratulate The Royal Cork Yacht Club on organising this biennial sailing regatta based around Crosshaven and Cork harbour. The strength and appeal of the Cork tourism offering is significant and this event provides an excellent opportunity to highlight what Cork has to …
Winning Team to receive €10,000 for their nominated charity
in a race which welcomes veteran US Marines and Irish Defence Forces
The second ever Beaufort Cup, a race exclusively for teams associated with their national services, will take place at this year’s Volvo Cork Week. Hosted by The Royal Cork Yacht Club, the event invites services from Ireland, Europe and further afield, to compete for the Trophy. Defence Force Teams from a number of countries will compete and also other services such as Police, Fire, Rescue, RNLI and Coastguard service teams.
Following the huge success of the inaugural race in 2016, this year’s competition welcomes an American team made up of former …
Please complete your entry form before the 30th of June 2018.
Book Online to secure your place at one of our social events during Volvo Cork Week 2018
Entertainment Schedule 2018
Click HERE to buy Tickets
Port of Cork
- Breeze Arrives at Volvo Cork Week for Incredible Fastnet Race July 17, 2018
- If you don’t like the weather at Volvo Cork Week – wait a minute July 17, 2018
- Volvo Cork Week 2018 Joins International Race to Protect Our Seas July 16, 2018
- An Economic and Tourism highlight in Cork July 12, 2018
- Beaufort Cup at Volvo Cork Week welcomes National Service Teams and US Marines July 6, 2018
- Josh cotter: Great news for the local economy and sailing in co...
- Cork Week 2010 | Royal Cork Yacht Club: [...] you would like to view/download a copy of th...
- Cork Week 2010 | Royal Cork Yacht Club: [...] is now live and can be viewed here. It wa...
- Cork Week 2012 Management Team encouraging participation | Cork Week 2012: [...] REGISTER [...]...
- Cork Week 2012 Management Team encouraging participation | Cork Week 2012: [...] NOTICE OF RACE [...]...
- RT @royalcork: Volvo Cork Week 2018 joins international race to protect our seas @corkweektweet @AfloatMagazine @VolvoIreland @pure_cork @M… 2 days ago retweeted via royalcork
- Volvo Cork Week 2018 joins international race to protect our seas @corkweektweet @AfloatMagazine @VolvoIreland… https://t.co/JFNcAefwi6 2 days ago
- RT @JPMahonpoint: We’re all set up, ready to go here in @royalcork and prepped for a fantastic week ahead @corkweektweet ! #sailing #Crossh… 5 days ago retweeted via JPMahonpoint
- RT @corkweektweet: Helly Hansen & @rnlicrosshaven to perform life jacket checks at Volvo Cork Week 2018 this Sunday from 4pm-8pm.https://t… 5 days ago retweeted via corkweektweet
- RT @corkweektweet: The #VCW18 Sailing Instructions are now live on our website. Please note, in keeping with the sustainability efforts of… 6 days ago retweeted via corkweektweet